ClorTec CT Series
Sodium Hypochlorite Generator
CT SERIES ELECTROLYTIC CELL
Each CT Series cell houses an array of electrodes within a clear seamless acrylic cylindrical structure sealed with bolted end flanges. Each electrode bank contains an equal number of anodes (+) and cathodes (-) made of titanium. Both the anodes and cathodes have a proprietary coating of mixed metal oxides. These coatings are specifically formulated for maximum electrical efficiency and longevity. Severn Trent Services’ recent work specifically with cathode coatings has resulted in large gains in cell efficiency.
The clear cylindrical cell allows full visibility and easy access to the electrode array. Cells can be removed as a single unit, eliminating the time and labour spent to disassemble sandwich-type cell structures and handle electrodes individually.
The CT cell design operates using the new, patent-pending, split flow chiller design. The benefit of this is that the internal cell operating temperature is maintained within the optimum range of 65–80°F.
This is achieved by injecting 100% of the brine and 1/3 of the softened water at the front of the cell. The balance or 2/3 of the softened water is then directed to an optional water chiller where it is cooled and injected into the last 2/3 of the cell. The chiller requirement is based on the site-specific raw water temperature.
Maintaining the cell within the optimum temperature range reduces salt and power consumption while minimizing by-product formation and optimizing efficiency.
T SERIES ELECTROLYTIC CELL (Tubular Electrode (T.E.))
ClorTec’s unique electrolytic cell is comprised of concentric cylindrical anode and cathode assemblies, one inside the other. This T.E. design eliminates deficiencies experienced with expanded metal electrodes. Electrolyte flow is forced vertically in the annular space between the concentric cylinder.
Hydrogen is the only by-product. The electrolytic cell(s) and the hypochlorite storage tank are designed to safely contain and vent the hydrogen from the cell directly into the atmosphere. Dilution and dispersal is managed via ClorTec’s proprietary hydrogen dilution system, which incorporates a blower providing ventilation of both the sodium hypochlorite storage tank and the cell assembly vent stack.
The system has software monitored safety interlocks that sense current draw on the blower motor, flow in the ventilation pipework and positive pressure on the ventilation stack outlet. In addition, the ventilation system is designed to allow passive venting of the plant to atmosphere in the event of total equipment failure, therefore preventing the build up of hydrogen.
A programmable logic controller (PLC) monitors each aspect of ClorTec’s operation, which can also be upgraded to an HMI package. This technology greatly improves disinfection management processing and reporting operating parameters, system status and alarm conditions. ClorTec controls are telemetry/SCADA ready and are pre-configured for most communication protocols. Control systems are commonly customized for specialized applications. Severn Trent Services has many systems in service and offers off-the-shelf, as well as customized programming packages with full data logging and communications capabilities.
• Cost effective and efficient
• Consistent solution strength and reduction of disinfection by-products
• Process safety management exempt
• Risk management planning exempt
• Improved water quality
• Modular design
• Configuration versatility to meet a wide range of output requirements
• Expandability – ClorTec’s modular configuration supports upgrading outputs to meet expanding needs
• The ClorTec’s system design improves the ability to service and allows quick repair or replacement of components.
Multiple Cell Design
• Easy access for maintenance is one of the key elements of this advanced system. The cells can be disassembled and reassembled in less than 30 minutes.
• Clear cylindrical cell body allows for viewing of the process, and electrode condition.
• Electrode Matrix – ClorTec’s unique vertical flat-plate electrodes are assembled in a single uniformly spaced array for maximum operating efficiency and ease of service.
Modern PLC Controls
Each ClorTec system features PLC based controls.
• Easy SCADA & Telemetry integration.
• Uninterrupted power supply backup on “CT” series.
• Customized computer and command option available with full communication and data logging capabilities.